Thursday, June 2, 2011

Where have they gone?

It is not a good day when you find out another old friend is dead.

Larry Nollenberger died in 2005, but I just found out. I'd been Googling his name for years and this time got a hit . . . with the words "In Memoriam" after his name. I knew that couldn't be good.

Larry and I went to high school together in Torrance, California. Surfing trips, double dating . . .  drawn to each other by music, guitar playing and singing. Dylan, Donovan, and songs we made up . . . often at the beach, sometimes on the Redondo Pier with guitar cases open for coins -- or in a small band at parties and a few tiny bars. Once we even auditioned at a big studio in Hollywood.

Later, we served in the U.S.Navy at the same time - on different ships -- and carpooled from San Diego to Redondo Beach on weekend liberties. Our ships took us to the South China Sea and Vietnam in 1968-69. On the way over, we met in Hawaii for a great three-day liberty on Oahu. I'm smiling now as I recall Larry's laughter over our second pitcher of Primo beer at a Honolulu club.

After discharge, Larry and I attended El Camino College -- carpooling on some days . . . with discussions of professors and homework from mutual classes. At graduation, I continued journalism classes at Long Beach State and Larry went on to teach guitar lessons.

We joined up regularly over the years for guitar playing, camping, fishing and family get-togethers. We attended each other's weddings. I moved to Oregon . . . he remained in southern California. Time went by and I lost touch.

When reading the recent Google entry, I learned that Larry had been a professional photographer living in the wine country of northern California, His work included beautiful land and seascapes from all over the West. Some photos on Larry's blog were accompanied by his cheerful music. 

Larry was 58 when he died. Too young.

Just like other close friends who died too soon. . . Josie Cabiglio, Ronnie Cocks, Steve Rink, Toot Fluke, Bob Judge, Bruce Horton and Ray Latham.

I miss them all.

No comments:

Post a Comment